Welcome to Friends of the QueensWay!
The mission of the Friends of the QueensWay (FQW) is to transform the blighted structure that housed the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch and was abandoned over 50 years ago into a public greenway. The former railroad right of way extends 3.5 miles from Rego Park and Forest Hills down to Ozone Park. Once transformed, this public greenway will be enjoyed by the residents, workers and visitors to central and south Queens. Working closely with the communities along the QueensWay, the Trust for Public Land, and other stakeholders, FQW’s goal is to plan and program the QueensWay to achieve the following public benefits:
- Improve quality of life
- Create new park space
- Catalyze economic development and job creation
- Support local small businesses
- Upgrade environmental conditions
- Celebrate the diversity of Queens
- Improve public health and active living
- Click here to read the press release announcing the funding for a feasibility study.
- Click here to view a presentation by Travis Terry and Marc Matsil from TPL at the Municipal Arts Society.
- Click here for a video flyover of the QueensWay.
- Click here to download the Friends of the QueensWay fact sheet.